18 Nov 2020
(18 November 2020 12:00 am)
This week we had a talk from High Sheriff of Warwickshire, Mr Joe Greenwell CBE, about the historic role, how he was selected, what he aims to do during his year and also his tights! This was a really informative presentation which lasted about an hour. An audio file of this presentation can be found here: Audio File
Summary of the issues discussed during the Support Centre element of the meeting:
- Ambutech Pharos cane light priced on the RNIB website at £15.99 ex vat. This is a rechargeable detachable cane light which comes with three mountings so that it can be adapted to fit different Ambutech canes. Further information about this is available on the RNIB website by following this link: https://shop.rnib.org.uk/ambutech-pharos-cane-light-89954
- Nimble cutter is a one finger safety cutter suitable for paper, light cardboard, plastic bags. These are available from several stockists including Amazon. RNIB currently stock this item for £6.67 ex vat.
- Ear syringing discussion and how you can access this in the absence of doctors surgeries providing the service. There are private providers who may be able to help including Boots the chemist and Scrivens.
- Private health care, there were concerns that NHS waiting lists were getting longer due to COVID. We advised that individuals would need to carry out their own research as there are many providers and WVS could not recommend one.
- Freeview Sound Recorder, Kate shared her review. "The freeview sound receiver was built by Porset Systems, who are based in Southampton. The best way that I can describe the equipment, is to say that it is a talking television, radio and cd player. There is no screen, so if a visually impaired person only has a freeview sound receiver, they don't need a tv licence. There are a lot of buttons on the sound receiver, but it is very easy to use. I only needed to listen to the cd instructions once, before I could use the device. When recording a programme, this can either be done manually, or through the electronic programme guide. Both television and radio programmes can be recorded. It is possible to listen to a different channel to the one that you are recording. However, they both have to be in the same group. For example, if you are recording a programme on BBC one, you would only be able to listen to another BBC channel, whilst recording BBC one. e.g. BBC 2 BBC 4. The audio description automatically starts if the programme is audio described. The sound receiver is self tuning, and all the features in the menu are spoken. The cost of the sound receiver is approximately £800.00. I am pleased with the sound receiver, and glad that I purchased it."
- Smart Meters
- Dog grooming is classed as an essential service.
An audio file can be found here: Audio File